PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 21st May 2007, 14:02
victor83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF pilot and officer training

I am 23, and am so keen to join the RAF as an officer and to become a pilot.

I have just finished my degree in economics at Manchester metropolitan university, and earlier on today, I had a meeting with a Sqn Ldr who was on a university careers visit. I didn’t want to come across as “being a pilot is my sole intention in the RAF”, but I did make it clear that I was very interested in being one. He said, however, that because I am 23, and 24 in December, by the time my application was sorted, I would most likely be beyond the age cut off point. He also said that because I am dyslexic, I would find it hard to reach the high marks of the aptitude tests required to become a pilot. After this the pilot branch wasn’t mentioned and we talked of Fighter controller and traffic controller roles. Both of which seem interesting, but do not cater for my dream of flying.

Can anyone give me some advice as to whether I should continue with an application or not? Will they really say "sorry, to late" if I am just over 24 when they review my application and selection scores?

Although I am dyslexic, I find aptitude tests are not so hard, and my numeric skills, verbal reasoning and hand/eye co-ordination is not really affected, it just sometimes slows my reading and spelling.

Any advise would be really appreciated, as i don’t want to look back and think "Oh I should have done it anyway"

Thanks

Vic.