PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 20th May 2007, 14:05
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Does anyone have any advice on which would be the better option - University or Direct entry? and what effects will either of these have on promotion?
SmallFries,

This will probably sound cynical and I have no doubt that there will people on here that would have me strung up for saying this, but in any decision you make now, you need to have one eye on the future. And for that reason alone I would say go to university and then come into the Air Force.

If you go to university, you will have a bloody good time and as well as getting a qualification that will stand you in good stead in whatever you do, you will pick up life experience which will also help you out in your earlier days in the RAF. I noticed a huge difference on my IOT between some of those who had come straight in from school, whose mothers had been doing their laundry for them the day before they started IOT and those who had had to stand on their own 2 feet for a few years at university.

Also you need to consider what might happen if you aren't successful in pilot training. The RAF will always look after its own interests and there are no guarantees that you will make it through the training system in one piece, either in your branch of choice or even any other. Having a degree in your back pocket-something that is almost a necessity these days for any half decent job should soften the blow should the worst happen, and make it easier. There was an in-service degree scheme a couple of years ago for guys like yourself, designed to get people facing your dilema into the trg system and out as productive pilots earlier on, whilst still giving you the chance of getting a degree. I don't know if this is still in place, but bear in mind, you won't have time to do it during professional trg and given the current op tempo, when you do have a few spare momoments to yourself I would suggest you would be wanting to spend it with your family and friends rather than with a head in a book doing course work.

If the RAF really wants you, they will be happy for you to go off to get a degree and then do IOT - you will be a much better position, both as a person and having a safety net. In all this, remember to look after yourself your future aspirations - the RAF won't do it for you.