PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 27th Apr 2007, 06:54
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CraigJ,

You have set out some difficult questions well presented.

. . . that the A-level grades I obtain are not relevant (so long as there are 2 passes). Instead it is a question of how hard I worked to obtain those grades and what sort of person I am.
My answer will not be the answer you want.

Everything is taken into account. If there are two candiates with similar qualities and aptitudes the one with the higher grades in the more relevant subjects would be assessed as the lower training risk.

Where the A-level grades 'do not matter' is that 'two A-levels' will qualify you for the next stage in the process but the grades themselves are not insignificant.

In other words it all depends.

for pilot do you need **** hot grades even if you have the aptitude and are a well rounded person?
Aptitude and quality may outweigh poor grades but . . .

I need some practice at Speed distance time calculations (so that I can do them without thinking.
If you know how to do them then just set yourself 'dynamic' questions.

You are driving in a car. It is doing 30 mph. You have 3 miles to go. How long?

Your 20 mile journey took 45 minutes. How fast?

How long to do 90 miles at 50 mph?

I have given up the opportunity of going to a good university in order to go for this as early as possible... In your opinion was this a good thing to do?
One school of thought is that entry at 17 gets you into the training system early when you are better suited to learn. The other is that time at university imroves your life skills and a good subject will help in the future. Horses and course, but be prepared to articulate your reasons.

Good luck and well done.