PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 26th Apr 2007, 17:44
craigJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,

I'm 17 and have just started the procedure of applying to be a pilot and am exited at finally having the opportunity to put my dreams into motion after so many years of waiting .

I had my presentation at AFCO two weeks ago and cannot go any further until I get my A-Level results in august...

This is where the questions begin

1. The flight lieutenant at the AFCO giving the presentation said that the A-level grades I obtain are not relevant (so long as there are 2 passes). Instead it is a question of how hard I worked to obtain those grades and what sort of person I am. Does this ring true to any of you on this forum, is it the way it is done, or when applying for pilot do you need **** hot grades even if you have the aptitude and are a well rounded person?

The reason for me asking is that my A-levels have not gone according to plan... and despite working my ass off (whilst holding down a job and competing at a high level in several sports) am not likely to achieve decent A-Level grades (my GCSE grades were very good).

2. I need some practice at Speed distance time calculations (so that I can do them without thinking)... so I’m after a resource with lots of questions, can anyone suggest any good books/websites around at the moment? (My ability to work out such questions is sound; I just want to increase the speed at which I can do them)

3. I have given up the opportunity of going to a good university in order to go for this as early as possible... In your opinion was this a good thing to do? (Not that it would change my mind , I'm just interested to hear )

I feel that this is turning into an essay and I’m sure people on the forum get bored of answering wannabes questions, so I’ll save any others for later .

Thanks in advance for any help (or criticism ),

Craig