PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 22nd Apr 2007, 07:17
The Helpful Stacker

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
"Firstly, in case you hadn't noticed, a lot of 15 year olds in this country don't even know what a job is."
What a load of tosh. My wife teaches 14-18 year olds and at 15 they are well aware what a job is, unfortunately many believe that its up to society to hand them a good one on a plate.

At 15 I knew exactly what I wanted to do and had enough interest in my chosen career path to have done work experience with the RAF, which answered many of the questions that this chap is asking.

My brother (who flies Nimrods) also had his mind set at 15, he had been in the ATC for a couple of years, had a bit of flying under his belt and was working hard to get good GCSE results so that he could get into a university that had a decent UAS.

I don't care that I come across sounding harsh, the RAF is a career, not a training scheme for wannabe airline pilots. Yes flying for the airlines is what many of our esteemed growbag overlords do when they leave but it shouldn't be the aim from day one, as it appears to be in this young chaps case.