PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 21st Apr 2007, 12:23
Beermonkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RAF lifestyle very different to the Army, but then so is the job and generally the type of person.

Not everyone who flies in the military is looking for a cheap way into the Airlines, can't think of anything more boring! However, you do have to realise that you may be called upon to put your life on the line for politics/reasons that you don't agree with. You also might have to kill people.

Training can be 'immense'! 8 months of Officer Training, that's the bit where you march/polish etc. For jets, you're looking at 4-5 years before you get to a frontline Sqn. Multis/Helos 2-3 years.

It sounds to me like you're looking at the RAF as a back-up if the civi flying doesn't work out. What that tells me is that I think the RAF is probably not for you. You have no choice in where you live, where/when you get sent away and you have to call a lot of people Sir.

On the plus side, I get paid reasonably well, fly a jet everyday and work with some fabulous people (& the odd c*nt). Where ever you work though, they'll expect you to have clean clothes on.....!