PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 16th Apr 2007, 10:40
TeBoi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Age limits - pah!

For ex Non-Commissioned Aircrew (NCA), the age limit for crossover to pilot/WSO is 31 ON APPLICATION - effectively 8 years older.
This is because the RAF already has good knowledge of how you perform in the airborne environment (lower training risk to gamble the big bucks on), and as a Senior NCO you are already a proven leader.
I have given several people this piece of advice and I still stand by it: If you really want to be a pilot in the RAF and you are unsuccessful keep trying until you reach the upper age limit (or get really fed up with your existing job), then consider NCA as another choice. It makes a great career anyway, is just as well (if not better) paid than a ground officer branch and once you have completed a productive tour can give you a whole load more attempts at pilot.
I joined up just turning 25 so was already too old for pilot, and was a Loadie. Once in I found out about the higher age limit for ex NCA and put my paperwork in as soon as I had done a tour. I turned 31 during IOT. Yes, I wish I had applied a lot younger and would advise anyone else to do the same, but if you are a bit older when you wake up from a dead end job as I was, there are ways and means.