PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 6th Apr 2007, 21:17
Whiteboog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions on joining the RAF

Hello there. I've decided that life in the RAF is for me and would like to start the application process. I've done some research into what RAF life entails (including real life and not just the suspiciously ideal job description given by the website.) but i am still rather ignorant as to the application process itself and even more so to the competition and requirements. I will tell you my current situation first then i would be incredibly greatful for answers to a few questions.

I'm 20 years old working in generic low paid jobs, i finished sixth form a couple of years ago with 3 A levels and then spent the bulk of the time since travelling the world on my own. I'm at the stage now where i need to make some big descisions. I would like to go to university (for the degree more than the experience) and it would be great if i could do that before joining the RAF, however if that is not possible then the RAF is my first choice, preferably as a pilot.

What are the requirements for eyesight as a pilot?, I don't need glasses to do anything in day to day life but my vision is not perfect. Are people with laser surgery accepted?

Will failed attempts to join tarnish later attempts?, i am willing to do whatever it takes to join but would it be better to find out exactly what is required first and then meet those requirements or to just try to apply anyway and wing it (excuse the pun). I would prefer the latter as it would give me a much better understanding of what i'm up against.

What is the situation regarding funding through university. I'm aware of the funding schemes but if i go to university first then join i will be at the very limit of the maximum age, does the age restriction apply to when you join after funded university or when you first apply for the funding and into the agreement of service.? As mentioned above being a Pilot is my first priority, but if i can do both it would be preferable.

I have recieved a letter inviting me to visit my local AFCO and i intend to do so, obviously i intend to be smart as presentable as possible but there is an issue in that i have dreadlocks (messy ones at that). I realise i will have to get rid of them to join but i would rather keep them for as long as possible. Is something like this going to affect my application at all even at this early stage? It may seem like a trivial question but i would prefer to have as much knowledge as possible to avoid any silly mistakes.

I do have many more questions but i think this post is already long enough. Any answers or advice from people who have already experienced this would be welcome, thank you very much in advance.
James