PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 7th Feb 2007, 14:26
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bernie, Im sorry to burst your bubble but as with everything in the military it comes down to cost. To be selected fast jet does not actually mean you are the better pilot. Most fast jets are actually easier to fly by a long way than most helicopters. The fast jet world in the main is a high tempo environment and piloting skills are not always the reason people are streamed this way. A perfect example of this is confidence and almost arrogant. If someone shows a lot of confidence then they will more than likely be streamed fast jet (providing the are not a complete fool) because they will be sure of their own decisions and unlikely to take advice. Not ideal for a multi crew environment where you have to function as part of a 3 or 4 man team (ok you have the final say as captain, however)
Some people just cant get to grips with aerobatics in the alloted time span (fairly common) however again this comes down to money and the system (i have a friend who this happened to and after his present tour is heading to ETPS) And the final reason is bums on seats. The FJ fleet is decreasing but every other fleet is increasing and is actually doing a job (excluding Harrier) Simple maths tells you that if there are 5 FJ slots and 20 Non-FJ slots then somebody is not going to get FJ.

I dont know your background Bernie, however i suspect its not military. FJ guys get all the publicity and rise to CAS however they dont always make the best pilots despite what they tell you. Remember a rich man never has to tell you he is rich........

Heights good

p.s. Im not a pilot btw.