PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 31st Jan 2007, 20:49
threeputt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amazing how quickly the SAS zero in on the length of aircrew bits.
Getting "firmly" back on thread however, I was anthropometrically measured during my time at Marham, on 45(R) Sqn, in 1984.
As the ex-hooligan states, there are limits but, these were usually discarded because of the need to wear all the attendant AEA required for winter/cold weather operations (North sea, Atlantic crossing or the Goose).
In other words, when the Doc told me, in 1984 , that I was too tall to possibly fly in the boot of a Tornado GR1, he was judging that on the fact that at 6ft 4" tall + winter AEA I would struggle to eject safely if required. This was considered to be especially true in a "trainer" or "two sticker" when the foot rests became rudder bars which sat much closer to the seat than the normal. Nonesense" say's I; we eventually agreed to differ and I continued on with the course.
I never ejected as it turned out but, I feel sure that if I had to, my back and knees would have been completely shagged and I would have struggled to walk again.
Strangely enough I was crewed with two stick monkey's who were also over 6ft 3" but they seemingly had no problems.

3P