PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 27th Jan 2007, 20:29
ianp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wee Weasley Welshman
The plain truth is that you have little to no chance of succeeding in an application for the Pilot branch of the RAF or RN.
You don't need to ask on the Military forum.
Competition is immense and they really do only take the best of the best of the best at the moment. Using my personal history might underline the scale of the problem for you..
In 1991 I was sponsored through my A-levels by the RAF to become a pilot. I attained A,B,B. This was back when A-levels were hard. To get the sponsorship my GCSE's were AAAABBB and I was a Flight Sergeant in the ATC and a Staff Cadet at a Volunteer Gliding School. At 17 I did a PPL under another RAF sponsorship. At University I did a degree suggested to me as being useful be OASC careers. I was in the UAS and completed the syllabus.
In the end, I still didn't make the grade for entry because they need so few and they have so many terrific people to chose from that were slightly more terrific than I. Since 1996 (when I left Uni) the RAF has become quite a bit smaller..
Personality goes a long way so don't get too hung up on grades. Luck plays a big part. Determination goes a long way.
But the reality is you have crap GCSE's very mediocre A-levels and a wavering commitement to Service life.
You are nowhere.
Best someone tells you straight.
Cheers
Harsh words WWW; not looked at one of these recruiting threads for a while but comment by WWW drove me to my keyboard. Anyone wanting to fly in the military needs to have the right attitude more than almost anything else. I joined twenty years ago, a Merchant Navy Officer with half a dozen GCEs, no A levels or degree. Since that fateful day I have been a pilot and instructor in the Royal Navy and am now a test pilot in the RAF, still negative degree. Not sure what the current academic minima are but rest assured if you are the right person for the job then even with the minimum qualifications and the right attitude you stand as good a chance as anyone. To everyone out there, good luck.