PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 21st Jan 2007, 16:18
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Kyuuki
Very funny Pontius
What do you have against graphic designers? yes we are the bitches of consumerism but dont mistake us with art students.
Kyuuki, Underwater Basket Weaving is the apocryphal useless degree that a someone aspiring to become a pilot has. If you have a look at the post-nominals of IOT graduates iyou will see the types of degree held by the successful ones. There is a fair number of LLB, usually scribblies. There are many BSc and some BA and a large number of B Eng. The pilot graduates have a fair spread of BSc, MSc, B Eng etc with a comparatively rare BA.

A 2.2 BA (Hons)(UBW) would therfore be a rarity.

Graphic Design is not a class of degree that one would associate with a would be pilot. OTOH do not let that you you off if you have what it takes. Graphic Design may be a positive asset as an instructor when preparing training packages. There may also be a niche for you in camouflage.

As the Services become more network centric IT design may also be a niche for you.

On the V-force we had a co-pilot who had an aptitude in polystyrene modeling. He was attached to a team creating large sqn crests out of polystyrene. He was mis-employed for about 3 months. Shortly after he returned to operational flying he underwent a standards check. Unsurprisingly he failed. To our surprise however he was chopped and asked to resign his commission which he did.

Just be prepared to tell your interviewers how useful a degree in Graphic Design will be.