PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 14th Jan 2007, 14:06
Jumpsuit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After much deliberation I decided beyond doubt that joining the RAF was what I wanted. Not only to join the RAF, but to become a pilot; like most people who approach an AFCO I imagine! I want to emphasise this is not done on a whim, but I had to think seriously about it.

As a result I'm suddenly concerned, after reading several posts, that I've left it too long. As I understood it the maximum age was 24, but then I read the age was 23. Having graduated from uni this year (with a 2:1), I decided to go travelling and experience the world whilst seriously considering my career. As I speak I'm travelling solo for 6 months, but when I return I'll be the terrible age of 23.

In many ways I think I have what the RAF is looking for; during my 4 year university career I captained the seconds rowing team after just one year, was part of the hockey and skydiving teams (where I ran for president), and succeeded in numerous academic competitions. I'm also a qualified skydiver, scuba diver, and experienced snowboarder. I was also a member of the ATC, but didn't make the UAS (for good reason in hindsight; I was far from prepared).

Will any of this make any difference being the ripe old age that I am? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.