PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 5th Jan 2007, 17:29
Tranx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello everybody,

I'm considering joining the RAF as a pilot or if thats not possible then a weapons operator.

I'm 21, nearing 22, and want to make my application ASAP so as to beat the age restriction. After completing my college course I worked for 2 years in IT support and recently started a foundation year in science with the outlook to begin a degree in Marine Biology next year. However since I started this course I've been thinking greatly about what I want from life and I don't believe I can find it in a desk job. I want to make a difference, have an active job and not be stuck doing 9-5 with the highlight of my day being a lunchbreak. Will this rather dis-jointed history make a bad impression on my application? I have to say that its only recently that I've come to terms with what I want from my life and what's important. Is this usual or will I stick out like a sore thumb?

I've just been sent an information pack with a form to request a meeting with my local AFCO. This is being sent back promptly. Is there anything I should know or do to prepare before this meeting? I've been reading up on the RAF and improving my fitness. As far as I have read on the RAF careers website this first meeting is informal and if I decide to join they will then give me an application form. What standard of "casual" dress are they expecting? T-shirt/jeans, shirt/trousers, shirt/tie?

Ive been speaking to a friend of mine who is currently in IOT and with several older folks who have left the RAF after a long service and everything I have heard has sounded perfect for me. Even the long runs and early mornings sound fun.

The posts a bit long but I've tried to get my situation across and express my concerns.

Cheers and thanks hearing me out.