PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 5th Jan 2007, 01:40
Yeargh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Late starter - where to from here?

Hello all

- rather than start a new thread I thought I would join this big general thread instead.

I was hoping that some of you guys could give me some specific advice planning for a future career as a military aviator. (Hopefully!!)

Basically, like the vast majority here, I have wanted to be a military pilot for a looooong time... Problem was that until I moved to university I was unable to actualise my dream - due to passionately anti-military parents blocking me from joining the ATC etc - you know the sort.

But now, I am 19 and in my second year of university, and for the past year enjoyed independence and began making some positive career steps. I applied for the Cambridge University Air Squadron, but alas, did not get called up for interview - looking back on it, I can see why. Apparantly I needed to get more things down on paper - such as rather than just playing musical instruments - take some grades, and do belted martial arts rather than unbelted fighting systems etc. That gave me a kick up the bum to get myself on the right track. I joined the Officer training corps instead and am doing well, I am being fast-tracked for MTQ 2 (if that means anything to anyone here). Should be qualified to do solo sky diving as well by the end of easter, through the OTC, which would look quite impressive.

My A-levels were not particularly good, but am doing well at my degree (political science) and am on target for a decent 2:1 - possibly 1st if I work super hard!

I wanted to know.. do I have a chance? and if so where should I go from here.. I have 1 and a half years left of University to get myself - pilot employable.

I was thinking of taking a year off to get a job and begin work towards a PPL, get my drivers licence, get a decent level in a martial art (still doing the R.A.I.D system which is unbelted) and getting some grades on several of my more proficient muscial instruments (bass and classical guitar). Plus it would give me an extra year with the OTC so I could get into a position of responsibility, which would be great for OASC.

So basically, what would be my best approach given what I have to offer? What should I get done before I leave uni? AND, if I take a year out, giving me 2 and a half years at university - and the CUAS requires 2 years minimum left of HE to apply, would I be able to apply on a gap year? - Although if I do take a year out I will be 22 when I graduate - a whole year closer to that cut off at 24. - is it worth it?

(My flying experience extends merely too a few times in a glider and taking controls occassionally in a cesna since I have been at University - but I loved every minute of it and am again saving for my next glider trip!)

I appologise for the sheer length of this, didn't realsie how long it got! I wil appreciate any and all responses - Thank you