PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 11th Nov 2006, 21:46
India Papa Alpha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After all the posts, is this what you have been looking for Rogerbucks? I know you will have to discount some replies as they have been clearly uninformed, particularly about the RAF regiment!! What it boils down to is the fact that your son mustn't allow himself to be 'shoe horned' into a career that he is not happy with. Not believing what the recruiters say is a good argument as they have been told which quotas to fill and fill them they do. However, I have met a serious amount of youngsters trying to forge a career in the RAF and it was plainly obvious to see it wasn't their first choice by far, many leave and this is a serious reflection on the effectiveness of the CIO's - are they really just achieving 'bums on seats?' or are they very wise, knowing that the individual is not going to stay and they achieve said quota? Who knows? All I know is a sat all the tests at my CIO in 1979 and passed with the nigh on 99% in most, they offered me AATC and said that although mine were the highest scores they had ever had at their CIO, it was no reflection whatsoever on my trade choice. Eh?? I wanted pilot, I got pilot after telling them I was on my way to the Royal Navy CIO and thought I'd stop here first!! They couldn't change their minds quick enough, I still don't understand the mentality, even to this day.
Anyway, don't believe the bull they tell you, time is precious and before long your lad will be 'too old' for flying or even in some cases the regiment. If the CIO stick with what they say, then phone 0845 605 5555 & see someone else - don't kill the dream until you have been told it's not possible & that plan 'B' is the only option.