PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 6th Nov 2006, 13:51
rooftopartist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best advice (which proved successful) I was given was:

‘If you’re gonna be tested on the bleep test, sit ups and press ups, then the training is simple: practise the beep test, and do press ups and sit ups a few times each week!’

Will get you the exact boundaries for the MSFT and press/sit up results and post them tomorrow for you. The manner in which OASC assesses you is slightly different than the annual fitness test for the rest of the RAF, in that there are 4 grades, with different results required.

I, like you am a relatively fit lad, have always been a good sprinter & cyclist, but poorer at longer distances. So I ran a 3mile route 3 times a week using the ‘Fartlek’ technique. If you Google it you’ll find out more but basically it involves running at a gentle jog for a while, picking up the pace a little, then sprinting to a gate/lamp post/grid/tree a hundred metres or so ahead, then walking at a fast pace to get your breath back and repeating the cycle over and over. I hate running as its boring but it really helps break the monotony and increases your stamina relatively quickly.

Would do this Mon, Wed, Fri (takes about 30 mins), then swim on a Tue & Thurs to break up the running and give my knees a break. With press/sit ups I’d do as many as I could in a minute before bed 3 times a week. Then on a Saturday (after having got the bleep test off ebay and stuck it on my ipod) would do the full 3 tests at a local empty school playground.

Sounds a lot but it REALLY helped improve my fitness, also means you can keep track of your improvements. I know it improved because I’m now back at uni, and after a heavy freshers month, I’ve stuck on 2 kilos and I'm knackered after my usual run!

Will get you the boundaries tomorrow A.M.

Hope that helps

RTA