PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 28th Oct 2006, 07:39
Monty77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had exactly the same thing when I applied for a Flying Scholarship in the '80s and was declared 'temporarily unfit' - temporarily referring to the 4 year hay fever-free period. You haven't had hay fever since you were 10 years old alright? I later joined and did 18 years as a pilot. Good luck.
Another thing. During the interview at the Careers Information Office a kindly old Warrant Officer was obliged to ask me the question whether I had ever taken drugs. Being young and not very savvy I wanted to do the right thing and be honest. So I told him that yes, I had once had a go at marijuana at a party but didn't like it and had stuck to booze ever since. Bless him, he put down his pen, looked at me and said, "You seem like a fine young man and I believe the RAF can do with people like you. If you tell me you have taken drugs you will be rejected out of hand. I will now ask the question again. Have you ever taken drugs?". "No sir." A truly life-defining moment. He knew I wasn't a low-life druggy, just a young bloke trying to be honest. Discretion, when exercised correctly, reaps rewards. A maxim I have applied for a long time is, 'Will this matter in 5 year's time?'. If it will, give it your undivided attention.