PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 19th Oct 2006, 07:29
Pontius Navigator
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GlosMikeP
Get as fit as you can.

It will have changed over the years of course but I'll bet the North airfield is still used as a major running course on IOT (lots of it!). We used to run from the hut on the edge of the woods near the firing range, thorugh the woods and over the horse jumps, around the woods and field back to the hut in 15 minutes (2.5 miles or so). And that was in combat kit with boots.

You can't be too fit. If you are fit, life's a breeze and in fact damned good fun!
No change there then. Still see pine poles moving round the airfield on their own <g>. Forget weekends. As well as get fit, expect to be able to show determination and grit and get fitter. No marks for effort if everything is effortless.

JEngOs can engineer. Not oilly rag stuff day in day out but inspired knowledge. One day I was doing a compass swing on a very old lady and the thing just would not swing. While I knew the rules I didn't know the tricks. Out comes a JEngO from the shed, out of interest or curiousity, to find how I was getting on. "Tried a Sperry swing?" He asked. "Wots one on them?"

Worked a treat. Had he not arrived it is quite likely the Inst Fitters would have spent hours trying the sam eas I had.