PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 18th Oct 2006, 19:12
Reversed Engineer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My God I've Joined The RAF!

Well hello!

Please allow me to introduce m'self, I'm Nick, I'm 29 and after ten years combination of sh*t jobs and uni I've gone and joined the RAF! (Insert "no change there then" here, RN types ).
Firstly a wee thanks to those of you who have put up info for others regarding OASC and officer selection in general, I've been watching from afar and it has been very useful. Even the bits that did not exactly make for easy reading when you know your career hangs on it! AFCO's are all very well but brute honesty is not their forte. I appreciate yours.

I'm old and blind so pilot was never going to happen, (although I'm pleased to say I did get all the aptitudes) so I'm being taken on to be a JEngo and starting Cranditz on the 7th of Jan. Cutting to the chase I have two questions for you:

1) Any tips for IOT? I've heard all that the AFCO has to say, now I want it from the guys that have been through it but aren't trying to sell careers.

2) I'm going to be responsible for fixing your aircraft. What do you want out of me and what are the shortcomings you want rid of from the JEngos you deal with? Feel free to make a list! Actually, do if you have to but just explain what you say if it's not obvious to a non (as yet) RAF person.

Before the RN folks lay into me I was in the RNR (Really Not Required) for five years so I am open to ribbing from all directions. Tupperware task force if you're interested (probably not).

Look forward to hearing from you!

Take care,

Nick.