PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 12th Oct 2006, 15:54
GlosMikeP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobinXe
Thus, when asked to confirm my choices, I said I wanted pilot, nothing else. They seemed slightly taken aback at this, but I confirmed that it was my considered intention, and in the end, thats what I got!.
Good for you! I was conned twice through not knowing how the cogs meshed.

For my RAF scholarship I was told I was too tall for aircrew (believable being well over 6ft) but would make a fine engineer. So I accepted engineer. Shortly before university I was called back to OASC pending award of a Cadetship, and after only a short session was told I'd make a marvelous navigator but only an average pilot.

It was all tosh. What it came down to was on the first time there the pilot and nav lists were full, or close to it, and the engineer list well short. On the second pass, the engineer list was doing fine, the pilot list was doing OK but had space but the nav list was almost empty.

Stick to your guns chum. If you want pilot and pilot only, don't move from that position. But do, if you are prepared to compromise - for whatever reason: I could never say my career as a navigator was unacceptable, uninteresting or not satisfying. But I would have liked a shot at pilot and should have had one.