PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 12th Aug 2006, 02:09
Antelope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by raf_wannabe
Okay. Thanks for that. But how would I, a 22 year old graduate, progress in comparison to a guy of 18 straight out of school starting the same day at IOT? I realise pay and promotion are not the be all and end all, and that ranks are probably given out at an individual level. It would just be useful to know whether I will be at an advantage or not (should I get in that is... OASC is 3rd October!).
I just want to be in a cockpit at the end of the day!
Exactly as TMJ said, age is irrelevant:
Originally Posted by TMJ
A basic entrant pilot or nav starts IOT as an officer cadet, gets promoted to APO on graduation, to Plt Off after a year, to Fg Off after another year and to FLt Lt after a further 3 1/2 years.
A graduate starts IOT as a Plt Off (for pay and sentiority purposes). After 6 months thy're promoted to Fg Off and 2 years later (1 year for most non-Scottish 4 year degrees) to Flt Lt.
And as far as degrees go a first from Oxford/Cambridge will get you the same rank/pay as a pass from an ex poly (provided they're both 3 year courses).

Ant