PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 1st Aug 2006, 13:26
flipster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TSM - a bit harsh, old bean? Give the guy a break?

Felix,

If you only have the bare educational minimum - you will be expected by OASC to have surpassed these minimums - so TSM is right (to a point)! Get working on the English grammar, along with showing some determination to always do better than 'just ok'.

If, however, there are exceptional family circumstances that mean that your achievements are 'over and above' those which were expected, then this might count in your favour - maybe! Check with the CIO/careers advisors; they would be better able to judge how OASC would see your circumstances.

Nonetheless, I would recommend that you show greater commitment to your dream by improving what quals you have already got. The 'never say die' attitude is important to you becoming a Serviceman - of any rank or trade. I suspect you have some of this grit; DOE Gold and doing well at ATC is not easy - use that 'plus point' to give you confidence for the 'mountain' you are about to attempt to climb.

But if you want to be a Red Arrow - go for it! If you set your sights that high, then you may feel ok when only get as far as............???!
(A bit of advice - never say to your mates, that you want to be a Red Arrow - they will rib you mercilessly - keep it to yourself!)

Best of British

Flipster

ps I have taught and flown with a number of 'Reds'. They are normal human beings just like you and me (mostly). However, it is obvious from first meeting them that, while they have exceptional flying skills, they also have high intellects and a huge dollop of gritty determination to succeed. (Be warned - 'high intellect' does not necessarily mean lots of GCSEs, A Levels or university degrees!)