PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 10th Nov 2005, 08:03
Vim_Fuego

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good advice from all above...if you can get your stlye of leadership, the way you want to brief and lead your team sorted out in your head (think S.M.E.A.C, which if a new term to you then look it up or PM someone you trust on here) then the obstacle you are given is fairly irrelevent. The good people at OASC just want to see you in the raw to see if you are acceptable and malleable. Pre-contrived ideas on exercises may stunt your natural flair!

Slightly off subject but referring back to the comment on 'Gems in a linebook' it made me think back to when I went through and this priceless incident.

There was this 17 year old Mancunian cheeky chappy who was on my intake at OASC. He was going for loadie I think and had impressed all around him for his lack of being 'phased' by the surroundings and also for his forthright comments and knowledge of various subjects.

Post interviews most of us are hanging around in the candidates lounge when one of the staff, an ageing silvery haired Sqn Ldr ultilising a clipboard as an excuse to look busy, wandered over to our party. He was one of these blokes who you are assured is not assessing you at any time but still slips in the odd searching question in converstaion. He loitered by the 17 year old momentarily and slipped in the old chestnut, "so young man, what do you think of homosexuality?" (It was still a definate no-no when I went through and a favourite question to be asked). The 17 year old considered it for about a mili-second and with his future career teetering on his next few words came back with what seemed a purley reactionary response of, "why? Are you cruising for a bl*wjob?"

It certainly got the rest of us off any questions as the elderly S/L,stumped for words, tottered off for a strong cup of tea and a double ration of biscuits. I had my fist in my mouth attempting to stifle myself until at least he was out of earshot.

Never did find out if he got it...

Best wishes to all...Vim