PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF Flight Screening Programme
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2004, 07:42
Arm out the window

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Further to my last quick off-the-cuff remark, which I stand by, I would add that getting other people's opinions is fine, but look in your heart, temper it with what you have seen already and make up your own mind.

I can only speak about the RAAF, not the RAF, but would suggest the basics are similar.
Talk to 10 people and you'll get a confusing range of attitudes which are all about how they feel they have been treated during their service. Fundamentally, if you remain positive you will tend to have positive experiences.

Think about it; many people would give their left proverbial to fly military aircraft, and the training is excellent. So even with low flying hours on some types, and some military illogicalities to put up with sometimes, to do that is to do something really good; plus when you get out you have well respected credentials because the taxpayer has spent a million on you (not sure how many pounds you guys estimate to train an RAF pilot, but must be a goodly amount!).

In the end it's up to you to decide to apply or not - obviously getting in is another thing, but really wanting to do it is a good starting point.