PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OASC 'CANDIDATES' and WANNABES, PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!
Old 7th Aug 2004, 14:59
JessTheDog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excellent argument ensuing that brings out another perspective on the pre-OASC use of recreational drugs.

In civilian life, low-level drug use (ie cannabis) has little social stigma and nowadays attracts no punishment. So, why all the breast-beating and employment of the "I was young and stupid" or "it was just an experiment" excuses? There is no point in self-justification or self-flagellation, it is more honest and rational to reason that " I am signing up to a way of life with different values to that of civilian life and I undertake to uphold these values; I do not particularly regret smoking cannabis (or whatever) but I understand it has no place in Service life where the consequenses of such actions can be all the more serious and would indicate a contempt for fundamental standards of behaviour."

On second thoughts, I doubt the "mature" line would catch on, and the "I was stupid and experimenting" excuse is the safest! Any thoughts from OASC boarders?