PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Education: What A Levels and Degree (if any)?!(Apr '09)
Old 21st Jun 2007, 07:50
portsharbourflyer
Educated Hillbilly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Roll over,
Airlines will not care one bit that you have an aeronautical engineering degree, I have first time passes in all exams and flight tests and an aero degree and I am still looking for an airline job three years after quailifying (currently a flying instructor). Five of my course colleague did secure part or full sponsorships but none of these schemes exist anymore.

In which case a BEng is fine as you will be able to commence training more quickly.

Yes I did secure one interview for a SO position with a Middle Eastern airline due to the fact I hold an aero degree, but that is the only airline that has given my degree any consideration.
The only benefit the degree has is giving you a career to fund the training, however in engineering you will only earn sufficient funds by contracting, hence you will need at least five years experience; so I recommend that working in the finance sector is the better option. Otherwise forget the degree and become a Plumber or an Electrician.
As for going to OAT you are better off going modular and using the spare cash to fund a type rating.

There are technical pilot positions in airlines which require a technical background, I would have thought some industrial experience to accompany the degree would be required. At degree level aeronautical engineering is heavily orientated towards applied mathematics. Remember it is essentially mechanical engineering applied to aircraft, so if you wish to study engineering that is fine, the majority of the modules will be generic engineering subjects.

If your interest is aircraft only / flying you will not find aeronautical engineering particulary interesting.

Last edited by portsharbourflyer; 21st Jun 2007 at 08:04.