PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Gurkha betrayed
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2007, 17:58
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
My email to Liam Byrne, and reply from his office, all very bureaucratic and soulless so it must be genuine! Lets hope they get shed loads more and decide discretion is....well they'd have to seek advice from the Gurkhas for the rest!

Dear Mr. Byrne,

I trust that you are aware of the case of the above named ex Gurkha, who has been denied entry to this country as he has failed to show close enough links with it. He served in the Gurkha's for 14 years, he fought and was badly wounded in the Falklands conflict, nearly dying of his wounds. Just how much closer could his links be with us? If he fails to meet the criteria, then I suspect most of us would fail them also, myself included! He needs urgent medical treatment for the effects of the wounds that he sustained on our behalf. Whatever the regulations say, they can be changed. Our moral obligation to this faithful and brave ex-soldier cannot be changed, and to flout them brings shame on us all. Please reconsider Mr. Rai's application to come here and allow it. We would be honoured by his being amongst us. Reject him and we are dishonoured. Do the right thing and let him come here, and stay here if that is his wish.

Thank you, for your email. Your support for Corporal Gyanendra Rai (retd) ex !st/7th Gurkha Rifles
has been noted and your email will be forwarded to the case file for future reference.

Joan Dulieu
Public Correspondence Team
Lunar House

Glad to see WO Pun VC will be arriving LHR 4th July, courtesy of Virgin, well done them. Lets make him feel very welcome!