PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PPL vs Microlight
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2007, 12:13
julian_storey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get yourself over to the States and bang the rest of your PPL out over there. I'll bet you could finish it in two weeks for not much more than $2000 ($2 to the £ at the moment!) so about £1000. You can rent a C172 WET for $79 an hour. (about £40!)

I've flown a flexwing microlight and it really is the most enourmous fun. I also fly bigger stuff though and there are advantages to being able to reliably fly somewhere (and home again!) in most weather and when it's dark!

Depends really on what kind of flying you want to do. Buzzing fields in a flexwing is great fun - BUT there is also something rather nice about taking friends to France for lunch and being able to come back after dark.

If you do decide to go to the States - it's a minefield. I got screwed over by a school out there when I first went to do my FAA commerical. They were thieving robbers who didn't even have a plane for me to do my flight test in! I found another though - which I would rate as being one of the nicest, most friendly, most honest flying schools on the face of the planet. Be careful - and if you do go, PM me first!

Last edited by julian_storey; 20th Jun 2007 at 12:15. Reason: Error