PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Message to Low Hour Pilots
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2007, 11:43
Pelorus Jack

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Message to Low Hour Pilots

I've been sitting on this for a while now and have been hesitant to put it out there, mostly because I was embarrassed by the abrasive comments and lie's received from someone who I had previously looked up to.
I has been 11 months since this was written and I am now more confident than ever that what was happening and most probably still is was wrong.

I have been fortunate enough to go straight from one (to put it mildly) not so good employer to a great one - who pays me enough to cover my costs and have a few pennies left over for beer at the end of the day. One who I might also add is very happy with my work and has put structure in place to ensure longetivity of my employment.
$4 an hour is not enough (We had one guy working 40-50hr weeks at this place for $100 AUD per week, all on the promise that he may get some ferry flying in... This went on for months and he never touched the controls). No amount of sweet talking, broken promises or cheap car salesman tricks can justify it. You need to eat.

My message is this;
There is a minimum wage out there.
Employers who undercut the rest of the industry with low costs because they don't pay their staff properly should be put out of business.
Pilots who turn up and work for nothing and except it are screwing this industry from the bottom up. If they turn up at your door they should be told to go back to where they came from

There are two letters below, one from me to my previous employer and the reply. I have removed the names because I don't want this to be a public shaming, just a bit of an eye opener to those who are interested......

Hi ,

I have had a phone call this week from my temping agency asking me to come and work for them for six weeks on a full time basis (Mon-Fri).

Since I desperately need extra income at the moment, I wish to reduce my hours because my current wage is putting a strain on my finances. Neither the temping agency nor myself are unable to find any part time work that is Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays only.

During my interview I was told that I was being offered a pay of $100 per day (for two-three days work a week) and it was not until my first day at work that I found, to my astonishment, that this pay rate had suddenly altered and that I was only to be receiving $100 per week. This drop in pay rate was conveyed to me only after having agreed to work an extra day. This means that I am earning $33.00 per day for at least an 8 hour work day ($4.00 per hour) and this income makes it impossible for me to meet the minimum of my financial responsibilities.

I understand that I will be getting paid more when I start flying productive hours, but I don't see this happening in the short term, as you told me two weeks ago it will actually be three months before I am up and running. This is also contrary to what was promised at my interview and I was lead to believe that I would be having four weeks training and flying within a month.

Alternatively, should you wish me to continue working the days initially agreed to (3 days), I would require at least $15.00 an hour. You mentioned at the time you offered the reduced pay rate that the company was still young and that everyone needed to make sacrifices to make it work and get off the ground. I am happy to do my best in helping you and the company out with this endeavor, but I cannot do so while at the same time, becoming financially crippled myself.

I don't want to put out and I really enjoy my work for as well as with the great staff & have been happy to come in on extra days and meetings as needed but need to meet my financial commitments. I cannot continue to volunteer most of my time as I have rent, utilities and food bills, which at present is setting me in the red.

I look forward to hearing from you regarding this.

Sincerely

PJ

Hi XXXX

It is unfortunate that you are choosing not to take responsibility for your decision to take this opportunity with . During your interview you were told you would be paid $100 for 2 days of marketing then ultimately a flying day for which you would be paid a percentage of revenue hours flown for that day. If this was misunderstood by you as we have already covered, that’s unfortunate. The choice to remain or leave has always been yours. None of this, through our conversations seemed to be an issue as your position with XXXXX was secure and supported your days of work with . Your personal financial situation when starting in this industry can and is completely demanding and all of us have a story to tell. Yours is no different. You have also been asked if other days rostered would be more suitable for you to cover yourself financially which you have also chosen to not take advantage of.

As was also conveyed in your interviews, these first 3 months are an opportunity for both of us to see whether this position suits you. As with many other pilots who have come and gone, saying one thing and actually demonstrating another is what you are failing to align. To break down an hourly rate for the hours you participate in this company to date is amusing if you would listen for a moment about what the rest of us have and are daily experiencing. I was hoping to be able to spend more time with you for sure to have you perhaps better trained and operational within the month but with Base1 doing so poorly, training Bob to manage Base1, relocating BC, the employment of my girlfriend, Big boss going away, aircraft maintenance, ballooning and base2 running hot my time has been limited. This opportunity you have little patience with is supposed to make my job easier and this operation more efficient. With you already having a sick day, giving resistance to be operationally flexible and consuming my time managing your life for you is underwhelming any potential you have with us.

You haven’t even come close to earning a flying slot and you have requested to be on the insurance which will cost the company $1000.00 so forgive me if I don’t rush for the cheque book. You have already received some one on one flying which is also a cost. You are an investment to this company and a risk. With 50 resumes on my file of pilots who would give their right arm for your opportunity I’m sorry that you have found the going so tough. I have remained completely transparent on every issue in our running commentary but your eyes are firmly fixed on your own outcomes, not those of your colleagues and the company. As you have obviously decided, it would be better if we parted company.

To finish, my feedback from other staff unfortunately relay that you are less than effective as a team player and your time management obviously suffers inside and out of so offering to pay you more than anyone else in the company for the value you currently bring would not be in our interest.

Regards.

XXX

In my Defence I would like to say that the Chief pilot was happy to give me a really good reference and I still remain friends with some of the staff who used to work there.

Last edited by Pelorus Jack; 21st Jun 2007 at 06:52.