PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now is your chance to remove unnecessary rules and costs/VOR airspace thread merged
Old 20th Jun 2007, 04:10
gaunty

Don Quixote Impersonator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And whilst I am at it, why dont we just let them CASA get on with what they are currently struggling to cope for the moment.

What mebbee 20% naaah give em 25% of the CASA resources over the last dunno lets say 20 years spent on doing the job, the rest "managing" constant change on change fixing meddlers fcuk ups and fending off the zealots, enthusiasts and barbarians.

I dare not even think about what that has cost and we sit calmly here talking about removing unnecessary rules and costs

An operator has got over $30M worth of GA equipment laying around waiting for an AOC (maybe 'til Nov, maybe longer) and I know of at least 2 or three times as much with others, that can't strike a blow because CASA, with the best will in the world are so far under resourced its a joke. And this in a period of unprecedented expansion.

This is what needs fixing NOW Mr Smith because by the time you go through the current folderol we will have folded our tents and gone elsewhere with our money.

And before you start up on your "this is what I'm trying to do" routine, I'm here to tell you not ONE of the issues cost or otherwise, raised in this thread has been a deal breaker.
Yes it would be nice if it was all a bit neater and tidier and I'd rather not have to pay $170 ph to educate the relevant FOI on how it is actually done, but the real problem is not less of these things but waaay MORE resources = manpower. Qualified manpower = someone who knows the difference between FAR 23 and FAR 25 types and which types are one or the other. BTW its definitely NOT the FOI's fault NOR is it CASA's, it is their political masters and those who "advise" them. Given respect to the Brindabella chap, there is NOT ONE member of the "advisory group" who has any idea of what's required and what works in GA charter from the bottom up.
It has been said here before and I have defended CASA on it, that the best way to reduce costs in the industry is to not fly at all and we are coming perilously close to that ideal.

So, it's NOT popular and doesn't get you on 60 minutes, John Howard and Mark Vaile will hate it, BUT lets get the horse in front of the cart, if the Government wants a viable GA industry and for it to survive NOW, then TELL them to get real and INCREASE the CASA budget by whatever is needed to unstall the current progress and ditch the present cost recovery policy. The alternative is simply unacceptable.

There is another way.