PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - university degrees, advise?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2007, 23:14
WildDart

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello motherbird, well ive been aiming for a career in aviation since i can remember which lead to looking for degrees to make myself a better applicanton paper and to have the experience ect., begun to look for unis towards the end of GCSE's, i choose one that was near airfields and not to far away from home. Ive got 2 unis in mind that i'd happily go to.

As Sven Sixtooc said an engineer course may not be the best for a military career. However the degree i am wanting to do is not 100% engineer based.

Reasons why i wanting to choose this degree is i checked through the topics that are covered, [i added them below for browsing]. Once i read them i personally think i'd enjoy them.

In additon to this, the course would be very specific and i think possibly a bit dull. Therefore i wanted to do a degree with an external course in this case management. This also gives me the opportunity to fall back on something in management if any problems were to arise, in deciding not to go into an aviation career. Thats about it, quite a lot of companies dont mind whether you have a degree or not (due to research) but i believe it makes you a better applicant and having a degree that has something to do with aviation is even better. ???

Thanks again

"
Year 1

Analytical techniques, engineering enterprise; materials and electrical science, computing for business and technology; introduction to manufacturing technology; introduction to design; aerospace technology and industry; engineering statistics.

Year 2

Quality engineering; simulation and analysis techniques; computer aided design (CAD); computer aided design and manufacture (CAD/CAM); operations management; project management and product development; engineering science; aerospace design; test and certification.

Sandwich Year

Industrial placement (optional)

Final Year

Individual major project; engineering management and finance; reliability engineering; instrumentation and control systems; logistics engineering; aerospace performance; propulsion; design and manufacture. "