PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The good old salary "conversion" from Pesos to Baht
Old 19th Jun 2007, 21:48
Jerricho
Ohcirrej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The good old salary "conversion" from Pesos to Baht

I'm probably stating the damn obvious for many folk out there, but over the last 6 months with some question regarding "What is the salary for ATC in ......... <insert appropriate ATS here>", we've been seeing quite a bit of what I call the "dodgy conversion" (actually, I call it something else, but it's not appropriate for this PG timeslot). You know, the good old "Oh, $80,000 Canadian, that's like 35,000 West European Islandland Dollariepounds or whatever". *sigh*

Like I said, I know most of us out there are a little smarter than this, but I really hope if people are considering making a move somewhere, they are doing more than this simple comparison. The grass may seem a little greener, but look at it this way. In one country you are being paid 100,000 of something before tax. After Mr Taxman and Mr Deductionsman take their cut, you may want to put a litre of go-go juice in your ATCer jalopy. One gallon of go-go juice in that country costs you 4.55 units of what you earn. In another country, the you're being paid 42,000 of something. One gallon of go-go juice costs you 7.92 units. This can be applied to things like insurance, house prices, beer (actually, beer in West European Islandland is cheaper)

Sorry for the rant, but it drives me insane.

Last edited by Jerricho; 19th Jun 2007 at 22:01.