PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - B1900 Rating
Thread: B1900 Rating
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2007, 20:58
Gerund

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am all in favour of the scanner and laser printer. In my day it had to be done with a photocopier and liberal use of correction fluid. I guess in Stalag Luft IV it was pigeon **** and spit.

I have flown in spirals into Baghdad with incompetent 200 hour com pilots with half an hour on type and a DE sign off. If that is deemed acceptable, give me a competent pilot with no rating any day. I can teach him.

So here's the dope. With things as they are, to hell with the rating. Jippo the licence to suit the operator (believe me, if they want a 1900 rated pilot they won't be looking at the dpi). Jippo the logbook by half an hour or less. 15 mins should do. (God, do we really accept that in SA??? Yes!). Study the 1900 manual and make sure you know your stuff. I don't want to fly with someone who doesn't know his emergency drills. As for not having 15 mins on type, entered as one hour, I couldn't give a fig. Is someone with 15 mins and a landing really better than someone with nothing?? If you really want a genuine 1900 thing in the logbook, then be creative with the relevant forms....believe me, they won't be putting the thumbscrews on when you go in to the CAA. Got a signature from a com renewal? Copying that will probably do the trick.

Once you have plenty of time on type then go clean. Do a P1 rating with flying colours and go get the real thing. Though, by then, you will probably be on to much better things. SAA won't ask to see your 1900 rating at interview!!

Hey, South Coast, good to see you and hope all is going well!!! Should I really be telling them how to do it??