PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHC global - Pilots and Engineers
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2007, 13:05
unstable load

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If a Nigerian, Angolan, Equatorial Guinean, Thai or little green man from Mars wants to go on the international circuit with CHC, Bristow, Heli Union etc etc there is NOTHING stopping them from applying to those companies for a job. These days even licensing is not as much of an issue as previously with local registered aircraft in lots of countries.

Before anyone jumps up and down and screams foul at that statement, YES, they do already work for the companies in question, but they applied for and got those jobs under terms THEY AGREED TO, so they can also apply for a job with Global Ops, Bristow International or whoever.
I worked for a member of the CHC group and when I asked to go onto the then International division I was told that I had to resign my current post and re-apply for International and go through the same selection as anyone else would.

Then they can earn the big bucks and also enjoy the luxury of being stuck in Bumfcuk, Thirdworld with sporadic internet and $15 per minute phone calls home, often looking over their shoulders all the time as they are foreigners and a target for mugging or kidnapping (funnily eneough because they are earning the big bucks).
Then the 12 hour day sometime becomes a reality where YOU get to decide for yourself on a single ship operation and you live by the decision, and the previously boring shift of 8 hours in PH or wherever where you got told to do this inspection on that machine before going home to mommy and the kids is a distant memory.
Then they can also eat camp food with the nationals from whichever country they are in knowing that their presence is resented and they are despised because of what they are, FOREIGNERS!

All that is holding them back is their own lack of will to improve their lot in life. The international circuit does NOT have a union to support you, and mommy and kiddies are FAR AWAY and often you need to rapidly learn a new language just so you can eat a halfway decent meal.

Take control of your own destinies, guys and if you think a strike is the way to go, then go on the international circuit and see where it gets you when you strike there. You will be lucky to get fired, lots of countries would chuck you in jail first just to make you realise there are no hard feelings.