PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Beech 1900 Belly landing at Woodbourne (NZWB), New Zealand
Old 19th Jun 2007, 09:02
SpootNICK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I agree with most of the above. Text book touchdown. No doubt about it.

Well done to the crew!

Obvioulsly depending on the runway condition and length, I think i would of personaly elected to feather the props.....and then cut the fuel off at about 10 feet agl. Being a two crew operation, the PNF could of been asked to take care of this just prior to touchdown. The PF would then be able to concentrate on getting the flare right, and hopefully bring her to a stop on the runway.

Here is a clip about a similar aircraft (Beech 100 i think) landing with its wheels up, but feathering the props just prior to touchdown. Saving the engines and airframe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVmHyJMDcus

(excuse the cheezy news readers in the background)

Then again, the PT-6 being of modular design, I am sure the majority of that engine could still be salvaged and repaired. This is not my concern. I would be concerned about blade fragments possibly coming through the cabin, or the engines themselves ingesting grit and catching fire.

I remember the 1900 had a kevlar plate built into the cabin walls around the prop area (to prevent ice from breaking off the props and damaging the pressure hull) This should provide some prtection against any flying prop fragments.

Your thoughts?

SN