PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA/JAA Aviation Medical & related issues
Old 18th Jun 2007, 23:00
coomster1000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Failed IAA Class 1 medical - Advice needed!

Hi all,
I have just failed my Class 1 medical in Ireland. I was granted a Class 2. I was told I was just within renewal limits for a Class 1 but outside the initial levels required (Astigmatism). Do I have any remaining options open to me that anyone knows of? I want to fly helis within Ireland and the EU. I am 31 and my prescription has been stable for years.
I have heard that I may be considered eligible by the CAA in the UK if I had a PPL and had passed the CPL (H) exams and had the required hours built up? Does anybody know if this is a possibility? Would the CAA be likely to tell me that an application under the circumstances outlined above would stand a chance or not? I have emailed the CAA with copies of my prescription and the IAA report. I'm still waiting for a reply! I'm hoping that someone on here has some info!
I have also heard that Spain does not apply the JAA limits as strictly as other EU states and that it might be possible to pass the initial Class 1 there. Does anyone know if this is true? ALso if there is any truth in this rumour, does anyone have any information about doing the medical in Spain?
Apologies if this has been asked numerous times before but I'm desperate at this stage. I was looking forward to a new career in flying! Thanks in advance for any info or advice!