PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Asking HELP about Flare Technique
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2007, 19:52
Air of Despair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I'm going through a similar phase, just a little less hours and experience. At the start landing was fine, I think at really low hours when everything is new you just rely on what you were taught when you were learning to fly. As your knowledge increases you realise that there are an awful lot more variables than you thought and hence a lot more things go through your mind. I changed companies after about 4 months and to compound the issue the first company I worked for had all rad alt calls down to '5', my new company only have 50, 30 and retard. I know that at the end of the day you should be landing the aircraft visually but as a low houred pilot you like to have things to hang your hat on. Flaring at 20ft worked beautifully until the 20ft call was removed.

I've spoken to a few of the pilots I fly with and they all say the same thing, relax, look out the window and keep it coming down. I think one of the traps you get caught up in, especially after a few crunchers, is getting a little ground shy. Flaring high, chopping the power and not keeping it coming down really isn't pretty and if you try to soften the touchdown by pulling back you're heading into tail strike country. All I can say to help you is what I'm saying to my self. Drive it down to that aiming point, look out and at approximately 20ft close the thrust levers, check back and hold the attitude. I'm not aiming to grease it in, all I want is a safe landing in the right place that doesn't send the wheels through the wings.
The other thing I am trying to learn is that when you do crunch it in don't beat yourself up about it. On the occasions when the Captain has smacked it in it really doesn't bother them. I guess its another one of those things that comes with experience.

Last edited by Air of Despair; 20th Jun 2007 at 16:21.