PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Now is your chance to remove unnecessary rules and costs/VOR airspace thread merged
Old 18th Jun 2007, 19:43
YesTAM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Immediately introduce WAAS and forget about developing an (Australia only)ADS-B, in other words, stop developing instrumentation and use what the rest of the world uses. If someone wants to obtain a PhD in electronics, let them do it in their own time.

2. Harmonise and standardise what is taught in ab initio training and get rid of this stupid minimalist "outcomes based" or "Competency based" whatever its called CASA syllabus and go back to a traditional approach. One of the reasons I hang around Pprune is to pick up the odd Gem of wisdom that NO ONE has ever mentioned before, and believe me I fly with instructors as often as I can.

Examples include:

(a) Spending $1500 in insurance excess for a C172 firewall after bouncing one very badly because NO ONE had taught me what happens when you get it wrong and land too fast. I "demonstrated competence" on my endorsement without any understanding of what the potential errors were and what their effect would be. I understand that the C172 firewall thing is way too frequent - why?

(b) Doing a CS and Retractable endorsement and NO ONE mentioned the practice of checking manifold pressure and fuel flow as well as RPM and T's and P's on starting your roll. - I picked that up last week here. Anyone care to think how "expensive" that could be?

3. Iimmediately get rid of the requirement that a student needs an ASIC before First Solo and streamline the medical so that a DAME can issue one. Schools have lost students because of the delay.

4. DO NOT under any circumstances allow "accelerated depreciation" or any similar tax breaks for aircraft. If this happens, the tax scheme operators will dive in and rort it very quickly, totally distorting and poisoning the industry. PM me if you want more information as to why and how.

5. Most importantly somehow encourage CASA to adopt a culture of the "90 percent solution" BECAUSE IT IS INFINITELY CHEAPER. That means that if there is a system or practice overseas that meets 90 percent or more of Australias requirements, then CASA and the industry adopts it and WE CHANGE OUR BUSINESS PRACTICES to accomodate the 10 percent difference.STOP DEVELOPING ONE OFF SYSTEMS THAT MEET "100 PERCENT' OF A UNIQUELY AUSTRALIAN REQUIREMENT IMMEDIATELY! .