PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHC global - Pilots and Engineers
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2007, 18:53
Buitenzorg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why the discrepency can anyone explain this !!!!
Where to start...

Cadetships. ACN has trained many, many Nigerians completely ab initio - should this be provided for expat employees too?

First Officers. ACN is by (Nigerian) law prohibited from employing expats as First Officers. Should this part of the playing field get levelled too, i.e. no Nigerian pilot employed with less than 3500 hours TT, 1500 hours multi and an ATPL?

Separation from family. Should ACN start locking Nigerian pilots and engineers in compounds, no family visits, for the duration of their work hitch, which should be 6 weeks like the expats?

Legal protection. At present, the Nigerian pilots are on a legally sanctioned strike. What, pray tell, will happen if the expatriate pilot corps decide to down tools en masse?

Stability. Expatriate employees can be transferred to another operation halfway around the world at the convenience of the company (CHC). Refuse to go and you're history. Local allowances at your new base could be less than before. Should CHC be free to transfer out any Nigerian pilot or engineer they want?

Etc., etc., etc.

Now, if ACN's Nigerian employees want all the conditions of expatriate employees, good and bad alike, and in effect become contractors, more power to them, but I suspect they are loth to give up the shelter provided them under Nigerian law. I also suspect that they know this very well - the ones I've met never struck me as unrealistic - and these demands are a negotiating move.