PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Slowing down on final approach.....
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2007, 16:36
Orp Tolip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some good comments here about reporting the problem through the company, it's definately the way forward.
That does however rather rely on the company being interested in what you have to say. I can speak from experience that, depending on the nature of the 'problem' not all of them are...
Not wanting to talk too much out of turn about following SOP's but some points some people seem to have lost sight of.
a) I may be incorrect (not unusual) but I was led to believe on my command upgrade that, in the UK at least, the contents of the OPs manual is deemed LAW, and non adherence is thefore breaking the law. In all such cases its OK until it goes wrong, at which point the company will wash their hands of you and leave you to dogs
HOWEVER
b) I found this very apt quote, I'm sure there are others, which sums up our game very nicely I think.
Young men know the rules, but old men know the exceptions.
Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894) American author and poet.
I have in the past (and will continue in the future) deviated from SOP's where I felt the safety of the aircraft would be compromised, and annotated the voyage report, or filed an ASR, whichever was appropriate. Never, ever, had to further justify the deviation, although I'm not sure that 'ATC told me to' is an acceptable excuse if it conflicts with SOP.
Final thought, for those that have to be stable by 1000' in IMC but only 500' if visual, can the spy in the cab tell the difference...... didn't think so