PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The importance of a good lookout...
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2007, 12:43
Blinkz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Being a glider pilot and a powered pilot I know the differences between the two. As has been said, glider flying really is totally focused on the outside world, you might have the odd glance at the ASI and altimeter but generally you don't (the most important bit of kit on a glider is a piece of string )
I actually did all of my glider flying out of Portmoak (the gliding site on the edge of loch Leven) they are a very busy club and you'd do well to keep well away. So many idiots have been coming out of Fife airport and buzzed straight over the site at 2000ft whilst winch operations are in effect. As has been said unless a glider is turning they are generally very hard to see, and depending on what they are doing can be going pretty quickly (its common for gliders to fly close to Vne when going between sources of lift and then slowing right down to get the most of the lift) I used to go to east and just cross the Leuchars MATZ, since gliders won't be there. However you have to be a little careful, if you have an westly wind the you can get a lot of sink coming off the back of the hills. On one occasion (in FH as it happens!) we were nearly at full power trying to keep level as we crossed them MATZ