PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAAF pilots leaving
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2007, 09:08
Captain Sand Dune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cloud Basher,
I’d like to reply to a few points you made in your post #60. It’s not my intention to have a go at you, it’s just I see in you some of the same opinions and frustrations that lead me to part ways with Ronnie over 10 years ago.
Firstly, congratulations on your new job. It’s a big step leaving the “sheltered workshop”, but I’m sure you’ll adapt just fine. You didn’t actually state if it was a flying job you’re going to, but whatever it is I hope it all works out.
I’ll start at the end……….
No I’m not bitter and twisted
I put it to you that you are. That’s perfectly normal for someone in your position, and that’s because you have:
understand the reality of the RAAF and also what PAF put down as the financial reality of the military pay and super system.
and it really p!sses you off. I was exactly the same.
I agree entirely with your points 1 and 3. The RAAF is designed for turn over. They will screw you, and keep screwing you until you do something about it. However you must agree that the ADF’s job is to fulfil the military objectives of the government of the day, whether or not the actual individual agrees with their motives.
I’d like to reply in more detail to your point 2. if I may.
I’m not sure if you noticed but there are fewer SQNLDR positions than FLTLT, few WGCDR than SQNLDR etc and there is only one CAF. So the whole system is designed to actively get people promoted as you get older/more experienced away from flying in order to open the spots to new younger fresher greener spots. The older guys either get promoted if that is what they want or get out, jack of not flying.
You’re dead right, of course. That’s how a hierarchical system like the military works, and that’s the point I was making. There is only 1 Chief, and the “system” must provide a few more 2-star’s, more 1-star’s, even more GPCAPT’s etc etc. What I was trying to articulate was the idea that the RAAF places more importance on manning an already bloated command chain at the expense of keeping experience at the sharp end. The RAAF is both acquiring lots of new airframes and is more operationally busy than the Vietnam era. Surely the RAAF can change it’s priorities to ensure the experience is placed where it is most beneficial – supervising the young blokes as they whistle around Iraq for example, rather than ensuring the CAF’s coffee is the right temperature. As an aside, senior officers always bang on about “the 60 Minutes test”. I wonder what those sensationalistic muck-rakers would make of this?
To say it is wrong just because you, who feel your experience of stick and rudder skills flying aircraft in the RAAF, counts for something in the RAAF, means you have completely missed the whole way the defence force recruits and retains people.
Trust me mate, I know it! That’s why I got out in the first place! And that’s why you’re getting out too, I wager. Are you trying to tell me that if the RAAF had offered you a real long term flying tenure that you still would have left? Ironically, during the years I was out I continued to gain more “stick and rudder skills” in my area, which was one of the reasons Ronnie re-hired me! I can assure you that the only reason I’m still here is because the RAAF has agreed to afford me locational stability in a flying job.
Good luck to those staying in, hope you enjoy your desks and promotion
This pretty well sums it up. Stay in and get promoted/grounded. Again, that’s my point. If retention is really the goal (as they say it is) the RAAF needs to make a fundamental change in the way it manages their people. In addition the RAAF must review manning with a view to minimising those ground positions that must be manned by pilots. Ripping pilots out of flying positions at the point where they’re becoming really useful (i.e. senior FLTLT/SQNLDR level) in order to feed the bloated command chain only pisses them off. Giving people more of a say in their career must contribute to retention. There will always be those that want to climb the greasy pole of promotion – leave it to them.
Moving to your post #67……..
the only real problem the RAAF has with pilots is the there are a lot that thinks the RAAF owes them a flying job
No-one owes anyone a job. You are correct in that the RAAF doesn't want you flying beyond about 35.
The fact that the RAAF is willing to spend literally millions on recruiting and training pilot’s, only to chuck them behind a desk right at the point where they really useful is quite absurd. We both know that, and we have both done something about it. You have pulled the pin, and I am benefiting from their own short sightedness.
By job wise I mean take a desk job in the RAAF and try and become CAF
Ah, so you do agree with me!
My (and many others) perception of the command chain is that they are too blinkered to look outside a very small box and make concrete changes to improve retention – if they are genuinely interested in that. My prediction is that the same old tried and proven (not to make much of a difference at all, that is!) strategies will be trotted out, and those senior officers responsible will move to their next promotion with a smug feeling of “having done something” without having to rock the boat by actually doing nothing that will really make a difference.
The other point with QFI' is they are still flying. Might not be exactly as they envisaged, but they are still in an aircraft.
And that’s me to a tee!! My No 1 priority is locational stability for the family. The RAAF have given me that with a flying job as well. Might not be exactly what I’d really like, but it’s not about me any more.
Once again, best of luck in your new job C.B.