PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Mauritius ab-initio program 2006/2007
Old 18th Jun 2007, 07:36
raviMK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Mauritius ab-initio scheme 2006/2007

Hi all..
Thanks for the updates and all the questions received through the thread and PMs..I did not expect that the recent meeting with the HR guys will create so much of a debate in here..But let me now update these issues, though I closed the discussion in this thread long time back..
First,the scheme is fully sponsored by SBM and the conditions in the contract are straight to the point..Unlike the MK bond all the previous cadets had been subjected to and guaranteed a 7 years full-time employment in MK,the actual new contract dissociates itself remarkably with employment conditions..
In fact,the contract was formulated by SBM and not by MK..All the financing is done by SBM and they can impose any conditions..
I researched quite enough and you guys do not have to feel victimised since it's not a big deal with previous contracts signed with or without MK..the fact that MK is cutting down cost in all it's operations also means that training of cadets was no exception..To keep cash flow within the company,a partner like SBM came to associate itself and bring financial facilities to the company and to its potential pilots..
Now,upon reading the contract,I do understand that there is no mention of job guarantee at all..And worse,I also realise that if ever any of the cadets fails to complete the course anywhere in the program,he/she will be subjected to pay back SBM..
It's more than a loan rather than a payback package..But it must be understood that MK is not having any financial commitment with this group and it cannot guarantee any job not until the cadets get qualified..Neither can it pronounce a verbal/formal/written statement that the SBM sponsored cadets will be recruited as soon as they return with all their licenses..
So,it is indeed seen as quite of a deadlock and not much of a choice for the selected candidates..But this group of cadets will have to go through it and give up the idea that they will not be recruited as soon as they get back and successfully qualified..I can assure that the cadets who will go for it and complete the course will be recruited once they are back..Right now,no one in the company is in a position to mention it but according to fleet/crew planning,there is a high need of more Mauritian pilots in the next 8 years in MK..
And for the financial guarantees required for the contract,SBM is looking for either properties or equal bank balances..This is nothing new as all the previous groups of cadets in MK have always been asked to prove that they can provide a financial guarantee in case the candidate is unable to complete the course or if he/she quits and tries to violate the terms/conditions of the training..
And there seems to be quite some negative feelings in the general public about MK..Shareholders have lost trust due to last years bad performance,mainly to the Chikungunya outbreak..This has plummeted the MK shares market value..But there is a strong recovery and the results are expected to be much better in the next financial year..
Many think the national carrier is in danger with the opening of the Mauritian skies..But rather,this is well accepted in the team as all standards,whether being ground/overseas/onboard will definitely reach much higher standards..The Mauritian press is a very cheap and short minded one..and when it comes to character assacination..they are really good at it..
All the hard work and dedication of thousands of people inside MK is never reflected in the press..rather the mishaps,incidents and drawbacks are always presented in a very lucrative and convincing manner..
There will be more Mauritian pilots in the flight decks of MK..it is just a matter of time..
I advise you guys/girls not to be intimidated by the harsh reality of the contract as in the end,you are all going to end up working for MK..It's just that there is nothing MK can pronounce in the terms and conditions as it's SBM who made and makes the rules..
The HR guys are always open to proposals/suggestions and I suggest you all meet them and try to find some common understanding before closing the deal..
Will keep the thread updated if necessary..
Cheers..
RaviMK..