PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tricky question for the PC brigade ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2007, 17:05
rmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tricky question for the PC brigade ?

OK tricky one for the PC brigade.

Just took a flight from Prague to Bratislava on a CSA ATR72. Connecting to Bratislava were six African labourers. For those of you who would ask, I have worked in Africa for many years and know how to ID a labourer.

What was apparent on the bus out was that these passengers hadn't had a good wash for some time, and their clothes for a good deal longer. Those of you that have spent time with African labourers will know that a mixture of diet and difficult living conditions often lead to a particularly pungent odour. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 the most pungent, these guys were at least a 12.

The ATR72 is a small aircraft, it was 27 degC in Prague today, and the departure was delayed, engines didn't start for 20 minutes. By this time a number of passengers who have probably never travelled much beyond Europe, and if so only to a sterile holiday resort, began to turn slowly green, and remained that way for the remainder of the flight. I was at the front of the aircraft (door is at the back) and will forever treasure the expressions on some delicate European faces when I stood up and turned around to get off.

Question to debate, is there any responsibility for the airline and its staff to ensure a minimum level of environmental pleasantness in the cabin, and if so what would they (or you if you are one) do in this situation ?

For the old Africa hands, spare any thoughts of "get a life" please, as we are potentially discussing a different environment, with a whole different level of expectation from the travelling public.

rmac