PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - COVENTRY
Thread: COVENTRY
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2007, 13:22
Riverboat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jabird - well done. Very sensible.

I remember reading a few years ago, when Air Atlantique ran the airport, that they were looking at making an application to build a terminal adjacent to the railway line that is only about 1km away. There was to be a railway station on the line, and it was hoped that the West Midlands trains would reverse at "Coventry Airport" station instead of Coventry satation, thus providing a train every 15 minutes from one direction, and maybe every half hour from the other. Rather like Southampton Airport (later Parkway) served Southampton Airport.

The merit in this application was, I seem to recall, that the land was in Coventry's planning area. It would also have a large car park, and no doubt, become Coventry Parkway station, so it would be useful all the way round.

The only problem was that it would be a remote terminal, but I presume the idea was that "sealed" coaches would take the passengers from the terminal to the apron.t don't know why it didn't happen. Maybe because TUI had come on the scene.