PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMS and STARs - ATC perspective
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2007, 11:15
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you tell us at about 100nm, it is usually too late to do the slowdown efficiently.
That's what extra track miles are for; two benefits, more miles to meet your VNAV and increased speed due to the extra miles.

Seriously if it is a problem say so, I'll happily give you what ever speed you want; 320 285 265 etc; just let me know and if I can make it work I will. Usually when I make the offer of increased speed and more miles in lieu of 250K I usually get we can do 250K.

Usually we work on 250K vs 300K = 2 mins more from TOD to the STAR Feeder Fix (the fix to cross, ie Lizzi, Rivet etc.); so we are looking for 2 mins on descent and usually another 1 to 2 mins from the Feeder Fix to the STAR 250K below A100 kicking in.

Of course if there is a stream i.e. more than one aircraft in the sequence via your fix it's a little trickier re giving you what you want; unless we can all get along.

We don't apply the 250K for pleasure and if we knew it before your ToD we would actually tell you; trust me

I've flown with some eager beavers that stopped editing their speeds once they got to the hold fix requirement speed -1min, even though it was clear ATC was trying to slow us down by at least the time they specified. Problem?
Would prefer you came out 1 late not early as I can speed you up to catch up the minute; otherwise more than likely you will be too tight and it's vector time; unless of course the one ahead came out 1 min early too.