PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FMS and STARs - ATC perspective
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2007, 10:02
No Further Requirements

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FMS and STARs - ATC perspective

G'day all,

A quick question about FMS capabilities and a pilot's perspective on STARS. Most who have flown into YMML, YSSY or YBBN will be familiar with the 'cross xxxxx at time 53 then 250kts' given by ATC for sequencing. I understand the different capabilities with regards to on-track speed losses. What I was wondering is about time out of holding patterns.

For example, the LIZZI STAR into Melbourne, the holding patteren is at BULLA. ATC use 7 minutes for the time from BULLA to LIZZI for aircraft out of the hold to cross LIZZI at the right time. Personally, I tell the aircraft to adjust their pattern to depart BULLA at required LIZZI time - 7 minutes. I have heard people also say to adjust their pattern departure time to cross LIZZI at time xx.

My question is: what is easier for both aircrew and for the various FMS capabilities out there?

For ATC, we use a standard time from hold to feeder fix, but this needs to be adjusted for wind, and is sometimes hard to pick. The FMS can usually do it better than we can, but can they adjust the the pattern to meet a time given at the next point too?

Hope I've made it as clear as mud. Thanks in advance for the replies.

Cheers,

NFR.