PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Falklands Gurkha betrayed
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2007, 07:37
Maple 01

TAC Int Bloke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For those who feel a note dropped to their MP or to the House of Lords might help feel free to rip-off this, after all, I stole it from it off DozyBint on ARRSE
And here's a link to find your MP

http://www.writetothem.com/

Dear *******,
Re: Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai (Rtd).
You may remember the recent disgraceful case in which a Gurkha VC winner was denied access to the United Kingdom for medical treatment because in the words of the FCO ‘he failed to demonstrate that he had strong ties to the UK’. Eventually, after a lot of pressure the government begrudgingly reversed this decision.

Yesterday another case came to my attention, that of Lance Corporal Gyanendra Rai (Rtd). Despite 14 years' service in the armed forces, FCO officials have told Mr Rai that he too has insufficient links to the UK to get a visa, preventing him joining events to mark the 25th anniversary of victory in the Falklands. More than this however, he was seriously injured during the fighting and would greatly benefit from being able to access the NHS.

I really cannot understand what stronger tie there could be to a country than to be prepared to give your all in its service, though I concede that Ministers who have never undertaken military service may find this concept difficult to comprehend.

I hope you will feel, as I do, that the United Kingdom owes a debt of gratitude to our Gurkhas, and that the grant of a visa would go some way to repaying his loyalty and valour. I would be grateful if you could ask the Home Secretary to ensure that the decision taken in Mr Gyanendra Rai’s case is reviewed most urgently.

Yours sincerely,

You might also want to write to her Maj (thanks Chugalug2), be nice, she's still the boss
http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page3776.asp

Last edited by Maple 01; 17th Jun 2007 at 09:10.