PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What's New In W. Africa (Nigeria)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2007, 17:18
anjouan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
chuks,
I know what you mean about camel spiders - they were one of the many delights to be found living in our survey camps in Iran and I always used to check that there wasn't one in my bed before sleeping or in my desert boots before putting them on. One of our engineers was bitten by one during his sleep and had asore patch about the size of a Euro coin on his calf, but it quickly turned septic and he had to be medevaced out. Nigeria could be worse - some of what we now suffer is because we have to have security advisers who, naturally advise that we are kept locked down at night. If not they would be failing in their duty. If things ever get better they will be reluctant to change their advice because their own jobs might then be at risk. It was just as bad in 1999, but then managements didn't really care much - they probably still don't but now we're all owned by North American companies, they all have codes of business ethics, duty of care, QA and HSE that nobody cared about 20 years ago .

NEO,
Dokubi Asari arrived at NAF Base about midday. His supporters had been waiting outside Arik with the usual loud, cheerful Nigerian greetings - only the small sticks of dynamite they occasionally threw drowned out their cheers, chanting and singing . However, 8 bottles of Star down the road later this evening, who knows what will happen?